Break The Cycle Endowment grants are awarded to organizations with programs that directly or indirectly seek to break the cycle of teen pregnancy.
PREVENTING TEEN PREGNANCY is interpreted to mean supporting girls to develop positive self-esteem and a healthy attitude about their bodies. Some programs can be for elementary-aged students, while others can address issues girls face in their teens. Programs that encourage youth to engage in healthy life choices qualify as well.
The Break The Cycle Endowment Fund is a designated fund at the Community Foundation for Northern Virginia benefiting the Giving Circle of HOPE. A member of the Giving Circle of HOPE who was passionate about helping to prevent teenage pregnancy established the fund in 2006.
The mission of the Break the Cycle Endowment Fund is to grow the capacity of the Giving Circle of HOPE to support programs that help prevent teen pregnancy.
For more information or to donate, please visit Break the Cycle Endowment Fund.
Giving Circle of HOPE grants made possible by distributions from the Break The Cycle Endowment Fund include:
- Girls Inspired and Ready to Lead’s “Pathways to Careers Program.”
- Space Of Her Own’s program of practical skills through carpentry and interior design, technology, and architecture, as well as career aspiration and success in school.
- The “Girls on the Run” program, located at Weems Elementary School, Manassas, VA, builds self-esteem and provides mentors to 3rd and 4th grade girls.
- FACETS “Youth Leadership Project” empowers youth to learn positive peer leadership roles that then encourage other young adults (their peers) to make safe and healthy decisions in their lives.
- Alexandria Commission on Teen Pregnancy for the production of teen written and directed short films exposing the realities and hardships of teen pregnancy.